Pages

The Ninja and the Princess

One of the many reasons why I love the Internet: Scanlations.

While wallowing in my own self-regret and denial of what a letdown the system is... (and apart from the raging fever non-self induced puking), I turned to read some manga online - a brief respite from long route marches and battles I will fight and never "win".

There were your usual titles: Naruto, Bleach, FMA and more obscure ones such as Ghostsweeper Mikami and School Rumble.

And then there was Recca Hanabishi. Your average Japanese 16-year old, who went to high school and basically goofed off most of the time. Oh, and who could shoot flames out of his right hand. Not forgetting the eight Flame Dragon Spirits that lived in him.

Recca was undoubtedly the first anime that I saw because I skipped school one day on the account that I was "sick". More like an excuse to watch TV the whole day because Dad finally decided to get cable TV or what I like to call "SCV" (before Starhub came along). Why in the world would anyone need the Power Rangers or Pokemon (did Pokemon even exist in '98?) when you had Recca and his team of Hokage* ninjas.


*coincidental similarities with the Naruto Universe on this one, but no... no Rasengan or Kyuubi can ever hope to claim
first. Sorry Kishimoto. =3


This anime was adventurous, action-packed (with copious amounts of bleeding) and they even sneaked in a little romance (unbeknownst to me at that time). Shit, for a 9-year-old, I found my idol and hero right there. Not in some cartoon or comic book character wearing brightly coloured spandex. Just a feisty high-schooler who fought for nothing but the lives of his friends. And he had friends who would fight for him too!

I probably learned alot about love, friendship and being strong-willed in those 42 episodes that aired on AXN that year. Now I look back and wonder what ever happened to that 9-year old me. The one that used to look so brightly on the future and expected the best of things. Now I just grumble on Life's propensity.

Then I realise, that kid never left me.


I unknowingly left that kid behind years ago. I found new friends, new companions.

But now I remember... those flames of hope.2years aint too long


No comments:

Post a Comment